[S0] #02 - Garage Kids

Discuss individual episodes in detail here. 1 topic per episode.
LaserArrow
2014 Biggest Contribution to the CL Community

[S0] #02 - Garage Kids

Post by LaserArrow » 01 Nov 2013, 05:45

You can read about it and watch it here: http://en.codelyoko.fr/history/garagekids.cl

So I know a lot of people like Garage Kids, but frankly, I think Code Lyoko improved upon it in every way.
-The 3D, while more simplistic in CL, looks a lot nicer. Ulrich has a derpy face and the limitations of the 3D CGI at the time were made less obvious by the fact that Lyoko was designed to have a simplistic air about it instead of more complex textures.
-It would be interesting if they had powers on Earth, but I like them being more helpless and normal on Earth. It makes the XANA attacks more threatening and gives them a space where they are to some extent disconnected from Lyoko and the supercomputer.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AelitaYumiHotaru
Veteran

Re: [S0] #02 - Garage Kids

Post by AelitaYumiHotaru » 01 Nov 2013, 13:00

Honestly, I dislike GK(no offense peeps!)... But it's amazing that the animators used the exact same clothing, hairstyle and looks in CL!(but in GK they all look kind of Asian). I'm fine with the 2D animation, but the 3D animation... Oh hell no. Especially Ulrich's pants... Ugh.
妈妈可不可以请告诉我 为什么人会变得不一样?那些听说过的美丽日子是真的存在过吗?
早就忘了应该要更努力爱着他 早就忘了心去包容他 自顾自的生活是否假装继续忙?
隐形在你的面具背后充满许多的表情 到最后却始终如一  真的更好吗?
我们要这样,不再看彼此的眼神吗?不再对我讲话吗?不再说你爱我吗?
就算受了伤,眼泪也如雨的下
改变就能解答?改变就能到达?告诉我 妈妈 妈妈

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

The Goblin
Veteran

Post by The Goblin » 01 Nov 2013, 18:10

Wait, people like that horror movie?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Strangely_Scott
Veteran

Post by Strangely_Scott » 01 Nov 2013, 20:07

I actually liked the real world animation better. The backgrounds, while less detailed, are far more stylized and the characters fit into the world a bit better. Admittedly in CL the overly detailed and realistic styled backgrounds never quite grooved with the overly stylized character designs, and the color palette was at times so grimy I felt the characters disappeared into them and didn't stand out. GK is a bit brighter and pops a bit more to me, and it was just better in conveying atmosphere.

And I feel like the art direction was better for GK. The original Lyoko costumes I thought were much better and with a refined design and better animation even Ulrich's puffy pants would have looked okay. I thought in general the art direction made Xanadu a more fantasy based realm, while Lyoko admittedly kept on feeling like a computer game. Xanadu had varying tree's plants, bodies of water, it felt more like it was supposed to be some sort of parrallel world with a fantasy flare.
And that's what they'd look like if they were still animated. Happy? http://fav.me/d5dtuvd

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

McTrooper
Veteran

Post by McTrooper » 27 Nov 2013, 17:20

I love Garage Kids. Still I am glad for all the changes they made.
True the darker nature of Garage Kids was cool, but like any pilot (or pre-pilot) episode so may improvements were made that it is hard to imagine it any other way.
I would love to know more about the original plan for the series though. Maybe they had episode ideas planned out, but I haven't seen any info on that.
Then again I did most of my research years ago. Maybe more details have surfaced that I don't know about.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

diggitydog
Veteran

Post by diggitydog » 18 Aug 2016, 23:57

Piece of history. Despite the god awful CGI, the 2D looks good. Also ridiculously cool to me that they used a Jamiroquai song for the credits.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

McTrooper
Veteran

Post by McTrooper » 19 Aug 2016, 04:00

I've had Love Fool stuck in my head because of Garage Kids. :)

Oh I had to show my oldest daughter McKenna Garage Kids. I think she liked it.

She's was introduced to Code Lyoko early in life. She woke up from a nap before she turned three. Now she's 6.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

diggitydog
Veteran

Post by diggitydog » 01 Sep 2016, 03:14

McTrooper wrote:I've had Love Fool stuck in my head because of Garage Kids. :)

Oh I had to show my oldest daughter McKenna Garage Kids. I think she liked it.

She's was introduced to Code Lyoko early in life. She woke up from a nap before she turned three. Now she's 6.
Gotta get em started early! Applause.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links