[Evolution] # 06 - Suspicions

Discuss individual episodes in detail here. 1 topic per episode.
Strangely_Scott
Veteran

Re: [Evolution] # 06 - Suspicions

Post by Strangely_Scott » 03 Feb 2013, 13:27

Possession wrote:Another thing bugging me is they show the RTTP animation, when there isn't a return to the past at all. Evident in this episode the scene after the tower was deactivated showed the guy who was specterized, waking up.
That's been bothering me since the last episode. This makes me wonder if we've only actually had one return to the past (Because that's the only one we've actually seen).
Possession wrote:Though it's strange how they built the MegaPod for only 4 people, yet the original Skid and the rebuilt skid were build for all 5 warriors. Though this is the first time we've seen William in the Skid I believe.
I've been thinking about this for a while and I can't help but think that maybe it was a design choice rather than something story related. The design of the Megapod is pretty compact to deal with the terrain of the cortex. The only way to fit another seat inside would be to increase the size of the orb in the center of the Megapod. As we saw in this episode the Megapod is almost too big as it is too fit through the various roads in the cortex. So ultimately the lack of seating may just be for practical reasons.

Plus with William's supersmoke abilities he really wouldn't even need to ride in the Megapod anyway...
And that's what they'd look like if they were still animated. Happy? http://fav.me/d5dtuvd

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

xiao
2014 Most Outstanding

Post by xiao » 03 Feb 2013, 14:36

Strangely_Scott wrote:Plus with William's supersmoke abilities he really wouldn't even need to ride in the Megapod anyway...
Yeah, I thought that too. It seems like William isn't very good at using supersmoke efficiently either--under XANA's control he went in straight lines and the shortest path possible but in CLE he's doing sparkly smoke loops all over the place and took his sweet time to get up to where Aelita was to rescue her. Maybe it's exhausting to use or something.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Strangely_Scott
Veteran

Post by Strangely_Scott » 03 Feb 2013, 15:36

xiaozanghou wrote:
Strangely_Scott wrote:Plus with William's supersmoke abilities he really wouldn't even need to ride in the Megapod anyway...
Yeah, I thought that too. It seems like William isn't very good at using supersmoke efficiently either--under XANA's control he went in straight lines and the shortest path possible but in CLE he's doing sparkly smoke loops all over the place and took his sweet time to get up to where Aelita was to rescue her. Maybe it's exhausting to use or something.
I assume it's like everybody else's powers, it's draining if you use it to much.

It's very interesting the difference between how XANA and William uses the supersmoke ability. I assume that perhaps the straight lines and shortest paths are because XANA being a program would be constantly calculating the shortest distance and route to take (Come to think of it XANA-William tended to run in a straight line as well). William on the other hand is doing things by instinct and with human flaw. Supersmoke being designed by XANA is probably meant to be controlled by precise calculations, creating an efficient and effective means of transportation and fighting, thus a human using it wouldn't have the same refined results.
And that's what they'd look like if they were still animated. Happy? http://fav.me/d5dtuvd

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ruby of Blue
Veteran

Post by Ruby of Blue » 04 Feb 2013, 03:08

Hey, I have a question, why does each character only have like, at most, three sets of clothes each?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LaserArrow
2014 Biggest Contribution to the CL Community

Post by LaserArrow » 04 Feb 2013, 04:49

Ruby of Blue wrote:Hey, I have a question, why does each character only have like, at most, three sets of clothes each?
I'm guessing it's for the same reason that the scanners are scrapyard barrels with tin foil lining - Cheapscoop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Strangely_Scott
Veteran

Post by Strangely_Scott » 04 Feb 2013, 13:44

Ruby of Blue wrote:Hey, I have a question, why does each character only have like, at most, three sets of clothes each?
For every set of clothes that's another scanner shot they have to film and add CGI to. Basically by simplifying their wardrobe down to three or so outfits they can re-use the same scanner shots for every time they wear that particular outfit. This helps save time since there's a smaller amount of scanner shots to film and animate. Also the less money spent on the wardrobe the more can be spent on other things.

Also they limit wardrobe for continuity reasons. All the school scenes were shot first and than later the factory scenes. Most shows film entire episodes at once, while in this case they are filmed in small chunks across months. A limited amount of wardrobe makes it easier for them to keep track of what they should be wearing in any given scene.

Just an example recall in episode 4 when Aelita is devirtualized, she steps out of the scanner and rides the elevator to the computer lab. The reality of filming that is that there was a week or more inbetween those shots being filmed (The lab, Scanner room, and Supercomputer room are all the same set redressed to look like three, so between Aelita stepping into that elevator and out weeks had gone by and that set had been built to look differently). So this means every shot we see of the computer lab this entire season was shot in the same week or two. Then it was redressed to look like the scanner room and the entire's seasons shots of that room were filmed.

If they had 10 or 20 sets of wardrobe it would be maddening to keep the continuity of each episode. So just for practical reasons they have to keep things simple.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ruby of Blue
Veteran

Post by Ruby of Blue » 05 Feb 2013, 08:48

Strangely_Scott wrote:
For every set of clothes that's another scanner shot they have to film and add CGI to. Basically by simplifying their wardrobe down to three or so outfits they can re-use the same scanner shots for every time they wear that particular outfit. This helps save time since there's a smaller amount of scanner shots to film and animate. Also the less money spent on the wardrobe the more can be spent on other things.

Also they limit wardrobe for continuity reasons. All the school scenes were shot first and than later the factory scenes. Most shows film entire episodes at once, while in this case they are filmed in small chunks across months. A limited amount of wardrobe makes it easier for them to keep track of what they should be wearing in any given scene.

Just an example recall in episode 4 when Aelita is devirtualized, she steps out of the scanner and rides the elevator to the computer lab. The reality of filming that is that there was a week or more inbetween those shots being filmed (The lab, Scanner room, and Supercomputer room are all the same set redressed to look like three, so between Aelita stepping into that elevator and out weeks had gone by and that set had been built to look differently). So this means every shot we see of the computer lab this entire season was shot in the same week or two. Then it was redressed to look like the scanner room and the entire's seasons shots of that room were filmed.

If they had 10 or 20 sets of wardrobe it would be maddening to keep the continuity of each episode. So just for practical reasons they have to keep things simple.
Must have been really confusing for the actors to tell what their motivation was for each scene. They really cut a lot of corners and folded in order to preserve their budget.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Strangely_Scott
Veteran

Post by Strangely_Scott » 05 Feb 2013, 12:20

Ruby of Blue wrote:Must have been really confusing for the actors to tell what their motivation was for each scene. They really cut a lot of corners and folded in order to preserve their budget.
It probably wasn't too hard to keep their motivation straight. By the time they went to shoot the factory scenes the school shots were probably roughly edited together to refresh their memories about it.
They really didn't intentionally cut corners. Shooting that way was the result of only being able to shoot the school scenes while school was out. Admittedly they had a small window to do everything so they had to hurry. On top of it this is their first season working with live action so it's a bit of a learning curve trying to make everything work.

This is sort of why I hope we get another season because generally the budget goes up and the whole operation is a bit more refined and moves better. And if the budget does increase they'll be able to build more sets so they wouldn't have to play musical chairs with the Lab and Scanner rooms.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Epsilon
Veteran

Post by Epsilon » 07 Feb 2013, 01:45

When all is said and done, they did a great job with the flip-flopping sets. It seems to flow well enough together that I don't notice.
But when all is said and done about this episode, the specter attack was embarrassing. I would be embarrassed to show that to people because absolutely nothing happens. They don't even try to do anything they just stand there like a bunch of condescending pricks. They don't even move! What the hell was that?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Strangely_Scott
Veteran

Post by Strangely_Scott » 07 Feb 2013, 02:33

Personally I feel like they sabotage themselves right off the bat most of the time. For instance having a specter of Ulrich chase Ulrich is stupid for the main reason that they can't really interact (Yes, effects are good enough to do that, but not on this budget). Every time they have a specter of the main group member it pretty much rules out any scenario that involves them interacting (And for a group of fighters we never get any real world fight scenes). The only half decent specter we had was that one that hugged Aelita (He's been the only specter that actually seems to be able to run).

I think what makes it worse is episodes like this where we see the specter can throw lightning and he doesn't even bother to use it on the group. Wouldn't this plan to get the source codes work better if XANA incapacitated the group? I hope XANA gets his source codes back soon so we can see an attack with actual consequences (I've got to say you know these are lame attacks when the one RTTP used this season wasn't even XANA related).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links