[Evolution] # 14 - Intrusion

Discuss individual episodes in detail here. 1 topic per episode.
Ruby of Blue
Veteran

Re: [Evolution] # 14 - Intrusion

Post by Ruby of Blue » 31 Mar 2013, 17:51

I sure wish I could understand Ulrich and Yumi's conversations. T_T

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Possession
Veteran

Post by Possession » 31 Mar 2013, 20:31

Now that was a decent episode.
Plot development, Ulumi, and a cliffhanger. As others have already said, this would have made a much better Episode 13, if the hiatus was still in effect.

Considering the next episode is titled "The Codeless", I think the plot will be developing majorly from now on. With 11 episodes left, I hope we're finished with the filler episodes.

Additionally, anyone notice the slip when they get sent back to the Skid? Yumi is still present, when she got devirtualized whilst in the Core.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tsunamix
Veteran

Post by Tsunamix » 01 Apr 2013, 20:44

Aelita: But why this date: June 25, 2003?

Jeremie: Maybe that was the day [Tyron] argued with your father.

WHAT???

Maybe you've forgotten Jeremie, but Franz Hopper was trapped in the supercomputer for nearly a decade since 1994 and remained trapped until they destroyed XANA. So how could he have been on Earth arguing with Tyron? How many more liberties can this show take?
My Fanfiction: Go Here. Read Now.

NEED ARTWORK FOR MY FANFICTION. IF ANYONE WISHES TO DO SO, PM ME.

SWORN TO SECRECY: Topic Here.
Fridays at 7 PM EST.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Epsilon
Veteran

Post by Epsilon » 01 Apr 2013, 21:07

They just moved the date up ten years. I mean what would it change if everything is moved up by that amount of time?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tsunamix
Veteran

Post by Tsunamix » 01 Apr 2013, 21:10

Yeah, but if you're making a continuation and adding in previously established plot points, you should at least make the dates consistent.

Fridays at 7 PM EST.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Possession
Veteran

Post by Possession » 01 Apr 2013, 21:19

Tsunamix wrote:Yeah, but if you're making a continuation and adding in previously established plot points, you should at least make the dates consistent.
Exactly. They can't just move the date up to 2003, as I believe Aelita was in the Supercomputer for 10 years, and that was when they awoke found her. So if he disappeared in 2003, then Aelita spent less time on Lyoko.

These writers really need to rewatch Season 1-4.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Strangely_Scott
Veteran

Post by Strangely_Scott » 01 Apr 2013, 21:25

Possession wrote:
Tsunamix wrote:Yeah, but if you're making a continuation and adding in previously established plot points, you should at least make the dates consistent.
Exactly. They can't just move the date up to 2003, as I believe Aelita was in the Supercomputer for 10 years, and that was when they awoke found her. So if he disappeared in 2003, then Aelita spent less time on Lyoko.

These writers really need to rewatch Season 1-4.
I don't think it's that big of a deal, the writers want to use modern technology and clothing to attract a younger audience. So what if they've used a floating timeline to make that possible? I mean the lab and stuff looked different, the characters ages shifted a couple years older, so changing the dates can't be that unexpected. And moving events up 10 years doesn't really affect anything important so I don't see a particular problem with it. Just a minor retcon, not an uncommon one at that.

It's a difference of dates, events still played out the same, just in a different year. It's not that monumental of a change, just a few different numbers on the calender.
And that's what they'd look like if they were still animated. Happy? http://fav.me/d5dtuvd

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tsunamix
Veteran

Post by Tsunamix » 01 Apr 2013, 21:30

Yeah, but it's bad writing to just make such a change in order to keep the timeline at a relative point. Plus the date chosen in the original show, June 6th, 1994, has relevance behind it (D-Day) and thus was written for a reason, maybe as an inside joke, but still a reason. By changing it in such a 'pull out of thin air' fashion, you change the relevance of the date just for the sake of making up for a five-year hiatus.
Last edited by Tsunamix on 01 Apr 2013, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.

Fridays at 7 PM EST.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Strangely_Scott
Veteran

Post by Strangely_Scott » 01 Apr 2013, 21:57

Tsunamix wrote:Yeah, but it's bad writing to just make such a change in order to keep the timeline at a relative point. Plus the date chosen in the original show, June 6th, 1994, has relevance behind it (D-Day) and thus was written for a reason, maybe as an inside joke, but still a reason. By changing it in such a 'pull out of thin air' fashion, you change the relevance of the date just for the sake of making up for a five-year hiatus.
Who says this alters June 6th? Only the year is different. So instead of June 6th 1994 it's now June 6th 2004. What happened on June 25th 2003 has no connection to what was happening on June 6th 2004 anyways, so what does it really matter?

And perhaps June 6th 2003 has meaning. Recall that the show begin airing in France that year, perhaps that was the date they finished the production season or something important like that.

And they changed it so they could keep the show in the present, that's literally the same thing that many animated shows and almost all comic books do all the time. I don't see how this is a big deal. Everything happened just the same as it always has, the year is just different.
And that's what they'd look like if they were still animated. Happy? http://fav.me/d5dtuvd

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tsunamix
Veteran

Post by Tsunamix » 01 Apr 2013, 22:10

Well, I meant to say the 50th anniversary of D-Day, but I guess in hindsight it doesn't matter anyway.

I guess the point I'm making is that while it may not be that big a change, it's widely established to the fandom that the date was 1994 and as a continuation, you're expected to be consistent with those dates as means of establishing a concrete story, otherwise you're just filling it with unnecessary retcons and errors.

Again, it's just bad writing and confusing to the long-time fans to market this off as a continuation and not be consistent with what was given in the original show (not to mention just pulling these changes out of thin air with no reasonable basis).

Also, and not to sound condescending, but name one other show that has done this before.

Fridays at 7 PM EST.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links